Sunday, September 12, 2010

Anaconda.....Texas Edition.




So when the first week in June when we moved here, Tom went out to his car to go to work and there was a note from the neighbor saying he found a 5 foot water moccasin in his back yard last night, chased it into our backyard but it went behind the fence and he lost it. He was just giving us a warning to watch out with our kids. So what does Tom do with the vital information? Go to work, and I continued to let the kids play in the backyard unattended for the rest of the day, when Tom came in that night he gave me the note and I asked him if he knew what a Water Moccasin was to which he replied....nope. I proceed to Google search and find out that the Water Moccasin does in fact live were we live and is a highly aggressive, poisonous snake. Yep in my backyard. We had a good laugh after that and I check the yard before the kids go out and they know not to pick up any snakes. On to last night, Tom and I did a babysitting swap with the Dinkels (the watched our kids in the morning so we could go to the Temple and we watched theirs in the evening so they could go). We had a great night, pizza, splash pad, ice-cream and then home to watch Benji (yep the original...quite possibly the weirdest 70's movie ever....OK probably not the weirdest but it is bad). I thought I was being an awesome mom and made a huge bed on the floor for the kids to watch the movie on. We got everyone snuggled down and proceeded to watch the movie. About 1/2 through the movie I noticed a huge cloud that had a ton of lighting inside of it. We all went outside and watched it on our front porch, and left the door open for a good 3-5 minutes. We then all went back inside and kept watching the movie. Well the movie got over and we started picking up. Riley then says, "Hey, there's a snake." several times, all the lights are off except for the TV at this point and I think he's just pulling our leg. Tom then looks and goes, yeah that's a snake. The screaming started. Brooke, the poor thing, was the most freaked out. She just heard a story at school from her teacher about snakes, and how the baby ones are more poisonous than the adult ones. She was freaking out, so I had a choice, comfort the children, or video. Yep, I am a awesome mom. The video's kind of speak for itself. Hopefully none of the children are too scarred. By the end of the night Brooke went from screaming, "KILL IT, KILL IT" to asking if we could keep it. It is currently residing at the Dinkel residence. What a night!!!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

You guys crack me up!!! What an adventure..

Frank and Amy said...

Oh man, we don't get excitement like that around here! I'm glad you all survived the attack of the Killer 6" inch snake. Seriously though, snakes in the house would suck. Good video!

Melissa D. said...

It's kind of cute since it's little but that would scare me for sure!!!

Dani said...

I know it's kind of ridiculous but really funny. Jed said we acted like we came upon a pit of rattlesnakes....yep that's how we roll around here!!